• Welcome to iHelpForum - the place to get help from knowledgeable techs in all areas of Tech, Home and Auto help. Consider checking out our Guides or Registering an account to post on our forums today.

Solved Wired Ethernet connection can't find IP configuration

Lord Chance

iHelpForum Jester & Door Greeter
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
His laptop will also not connect with the same setup but the person next door over brought his laptop over and his computer connected same cable....
This is why the hardware stats and setup configuration is necessary. There is something missing in this puzzle. A misconfigured router not giving out IPs, no IPs left in the DHCP server range, as you mentioned earlier, Mac Address filtering. I'm sorry Mal. I am not being of help. :confused:

Malnutrition

Still Hungry
iHF Master Craftsman
I would say yes but then a static IP assigned to the PC would allow the PC to connect if you use the right IP and subnet are correct.
We tried that in this thread, perhaps the settings were not right. Can you see what you can come up with?

Malnutrition

Still Hungry
iHF Master Craftsman
It appears that 169.254 address is an APIPA address and is a failover for when a DHCP cannot be obtained. It is possible that the DHCP pool is exhausted or DHCP is not turned on at the router. Need to know the router model and config.

As per post #90 my main suspect is the router. :)

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
I do not know the model of the router.. Is there a way to know this trough my device?
It will have to come from the route FluffyRobin. Unless we can determine the IP range of the router then it will be difficult to proceed. Forgive me for saying so.
:)

FluffyRobin

It has to be something with the router, any luck having him reset it back to factory setting? Like LC said the make/model of the router would be nice.
Will that take down the whole system? There are some other people on the net aswell.. Don't think the guy who I rent this appartment from will risk to factory reset

Malnutrition

Still Hungry
iHF Master Craftsman
Will that take down the whole system? There are some other people on the net aswell.. Don't think the guy who I rent this appartment from will risk to factory reset

It will just reset the system is all, he will only need to make a new password. That is the only logical step that I see next. Or as Lord Chance has stated he may be able to help further with the make/model of router. If we can not get either of these two things then I am afraid we are dead in the water.

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Ethernet doesn't work on my PS3 either btw (also trouble finding IP)
How many connections are made through this router? It sounds like the router has reached it limit for the DHCP range and unless the lease time are set short then it is almost impossible to get an IP. If we know the IP range of the router then we can possibly set a static IP outside the DHCP range,

FluffyRobin

It will just reset the system is all, he will only need to make a new password. That is the only logical step that I see next. Or as Lord Chance has stated he may be able to help further with the make/model of router. If we can not get either of these two things then I am afraid we are dead in the water.
Sighs.. Well I've emailed him today with the all the information.
I'm hoping he had this issue before so he could maybe know a solution.

FluffyRobin

How many connections are made through this router? It sounds like the router has reached it limit for the DHCP range and unless the lease time are set short then it is almost impossible to get an IP. If we know the IP range of the router then we can possibly set a static IP outside the DHCP range,
Max 4 other people ..