1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to iHelpForum - the place to get help from knowledgeable techs in all areas of Tech, Home and Auto help. Consider checking out our Guides or Registering an account to post on our forums today.

Dismiss Notice

VW saga....

Discussion in 'Automotive Lounge' started by DCiAdmin, Jun 10, 2017.

1. DCiAdmin

DCiAdmin Always room to learn a bit more Administrator iHF Legend WCG Team Member

Early in the year, the dealership told me that the car would need a dual mass flywheel (DSG transmission) and timing belt sometime in the next 6 months. I found a mechanic about 3 hours away and kept delaying the service. Lo and behold, I find a fairly local mechanic - 35 years VW experience - that offers the same services for similar pricing. In the meantime, the car starts to throw a P0016 error - Bank 1: Camshaft Position Sensor (G40) / Engine Speed Sensor (G28): Incorrect Correlation

I dropped the car off on 05/14, they were able to start on the flywheel on 05/18. Then the timing belt, but the P0016 was a head scratcher. Coworkers suggested cam position sensor replacement; I'm certain that I mentioned that several times. But no, the mechanic starts with dialectic grease, no fix. Then replacing the G28 Crankshaft position sensor, no fix. Then mutters about doing a wiring diagnosis but wanted to consult with someone at a VW specialty shop. They agree that cam position sensor replacement should be the next step; I agree. Whoops! The flipping timing belt has to be removed to replace that. Ugh....

I picked the car up this past Friday. SO Glad to have my car back. It drives wonderfully, and starts hot - something that it wouldn't do when the cam position sensor was bad. I head for a celebration beer before going back to pick up my other car left at the shop. I go to leave the bar, start the car and move from Park to Reverse. Odd, there's no Reverse. wtf? I can hear a slight whine after a rev but no motion. The gear shift is kind of mushy there too. Try Drive - yes, the car moves forward. Try Reverse again and now! the car will move backwards. Test again when I get home. Same thing. No Reverse unless the car has been in Drive first. And to get the car into Park, I need to forcefully push on the gear shift to get it to lock into Park.

Looking more closely today, the button on the gear shift that pops out when the shifter locks into a gear will only pop out in Neutral and Drive. Not Reverse or Sport. And it only locks in Park with force.

The car returns to Jose on Monday AM. :( So much for being a completely happy camper.

2. Crush

Crush I am admin, ruler of my domain Administrator iHF Master Craftsman

I thought this was gonna be a continuation of the elation of Friday night. Oh no!

DCiAdmin likes this.
  3. Arctos

Arctos Beware of the Bear... iHF Veteran Advisor WCG Team Member

So it is going to be " No Way Jose" on Monday? :caution:

I'm gunna hug my manual gearbox in the Colorado when it gets light. :D

DCiAdmin likes this.
  4. DCiAdmin

DCiAdmin Always room to learn a bit more Administrator iHF Legend WCG Team Member

Got the car back on Tuesday. The transmission has "e" clips front and rear. The mechanic reinstalled the rear clip as it had come out, but the front clip he reversed because it seemed "to fit better" that way. Shop owner didn't see an issue with that. Well, they won't be doing that again. All clips will be reinstalled back to the same position they were in when removed. :meh:

Car is running GREAT!

Arctos likes this.