1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to iHelpForum - the place to get help from knowledgeable techs in all areas of Tech, Home and Auto help. Consider checking out our Guides or Registering an account to post on our forums today.

Dismiss Notice

VMware....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by DCiAdmin, Jun 18, 2017.

1. DCiAdmin

DCiAdmin Always room to learn a bit more Administrator iHF Legend WCG Team Member

I've learned more about VMware this week than I ever anticipated learning. Snapshots of VM systems are a great thing, even better when they auto delete the oldest. Until they don't clean up after the removal and reconsolidate the old images. I've learned there are 3 areas related to a virtual machine that can and should be resized, but only 2 of them will allow you to downsize when you've cleaned up the mess. And that creates a mess all its own.

I've learned how to downsize the 1 that won't permit downsizing and that is a troublesome beast. LUNs and Volumes can be resized on a whim - to a degree. The datastore that holds the VMs cannot. It can only be increased. To downsize a datastore, you have create a new volume, a new lun, and then a new datastore. Once that's said and done, you can migrate the VM to the new datastore and remove the old datastore, lun and volume. Providing that everything comes up as planned. Providing that all files moved as hoped. Providing that all public sites are working as they were before. Providing, providing, providing!

All of the above is only "firm" speculation as I'm only so far as the migration. Fingers crossed, migration at 40%, sites still up. Pray for me, kill a chicken, do a dance - whatever your pleasure, I would appreciate your positive thoughts while this completes.

Crush likes this.
  2. Crush

Crush I am admin, ruler of my domain Administrator iHF Master Craftsman

At least you didn't violate Read Only Friday :)

DCiAdmin likes this.
  3. DCiAdmin

DCiAdmin Always room to learn a bit more Administrator iHF Legend WCG Team Member

The migration completed successfully at 5 AM Central. Our sites stayed up "most" of the time. Only negative from this is that a Search index didn't properly rebuild, but I've got that fixing right now.

Quite a learning experience. Ugh...

Crush likes this.