• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to iHelpForum - the place to get help from knowledgeable techs in all areas of Tech, Home and Auto help. Consider checking out our Guides or Registering an account to post on our forums today.

The Parent Blog

DCiAdmin

Always room to learn a bit more
Administrator
iHF Legend
WCG Team Member
Hello,

I'm DCiAdmin, otherwise known as Terry. I'm a 51 year old widowed mom with a 14 year old daughter and a 12 year old son. There is so much going on with children these days, I thought it would be nice to have a place to share our stories, frustrations, tips, joys, and tears.

My 14 year old is very social while my 12 year old is engrossed in video games. Does anyone else have an issue with their kids completely ignoring them when the electronics are plugged in? :) My son is a Minecrafter - could someone please explain that game to me? That's all he wants to talk about and I'm sure that I'm missing something. I just don't get it.

I had the unexpected pleasure of teaching my 14 year old how to drive this year. I fully expected that my husband would have that role, but life dictated otherwise. An amazing surprise though, I found that I really loved the time teaching my daughter. And I discovered that I had much more patience with the task than expected. She's exceeding my expectations! It's been so much fun that we are planning an extended family vacation with a lot of driving time. I look forward to sharing the driving with her and showing both children the US.

What is going on with you and your family? Please share and let me know that I'm not alone :)

Cameldung

I Like It Here
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Hi, dont want to get soapy or anything, but just enjoy the time with them that you can. In a flash theyll be gone and life will seem so empty without them. We have 2 not so young kids and we lost (left home) our boy at 18 to his pursuit of the fairer sex, which is still ongoing. He now holds a high pressure job O/S and we only see him a couple of times a year when he can wrangle a bit of time off.

Gee where do we start with daughter dear, what a totally disfunctional, antisocial teenager we raised. Wife and I dreaded the future with her, but since moving away from home she has changed dramatically to a hard working, married, and now VERY MUCH a loving family member. Her and hubby have just bought their second property, and at under thirty she has a sound financial position. You never can tell, but we are very proud of both our "kids" and have been very lucky they took the straight and narrow.

Not much help with games, both of ours had gameboys, remember them? at least I think thats what they were called?

Just love them.

Twitch6000

Person Of All Kinds
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Hello,

I'm DCiAdmin, otherwise known as Terry. I'm a 51 year old widowed mom with a 14 year old daughter and a 12 year old son. There is so much going on with children these days, I thought it would be nice to have a place to share our stories, frustrations, tips, joys, and tears.

My 14 year old is very social while my 12 year old is engrossed in video games. Does anyone else have an issue with their kids completely ignoring them when the electronics are plugged in? :) My son is a Minecrafter - could someone please explain that game to me? That's all he wants to talk about and I'm sure that I'm missing something. I just don't get it.

I had the unexpected pleasure of teaching my 14 year old how to drive this year. I fully expected that my husband would have that role, but life dictated otherwise. An amazing surprise though, I found that I really loved the time teaching my daughter. And I discovered that I had much more patience with the task than expected. She's exceeding my expectations! It's been so much fun that we are planning an extended family vacation with a lot of driving time. I look forward to sharing the driving with her and showing both children the US.

What is going on with you and your family? Please share and let me know that I'm not alone :)
First let me say I am in no way a parent... I am way to young lol... With that said I feel like I could answer your games question.

Minecraft is a "sandbox" game taken to the extreme. Another example of a "sandbox" game would Sim City or Theme Park.
Minecraft is pretty much so open you could make your own entire world. Do not let the graphics fool you, this game can do alot. When playing the game mode survival you start off with nothing. You have till night to build or find some sort of shelter before the baddies come and getcha. How do you do this you ask? Well you first find a tree and punch it until a block breaks. Now you will have a wood block. Now you can craft wood planks with said wood block. From there you can make tools, weapons, etc... There is so much you can make in this game it is amazing. There is also alot of other great gems in this game. The biggest one being redstone. Redstone is kind of like binary. IT is either on or off. Redstone can power certain things like a sticky piston, piston, hopper, and other things. Using this you can make some amazing things. I have seen simple stuff like automatic doors, to a full blown computer.. This game in the right circumstances can be educational to a child of the right age due to the amount of things you can do and how you do it.

As for him playing games all the time... Eh if things are like they are over here when bullying and public school are concerned.. Games give him a place where he feels okay. You can actually meet people who like you and share interests... Having friends on minecraft is a plus if you want to make something big like a mansion, bridge, or sculpture of pikachu.

Hope that answers some of your questions...

Last edited:

DCiAdmin

Administrator
iHF Legend
WCG Team Member
First let me say I am in no way a parent... I am way to young lol... With that said I feel like I could answer your games question.

Minecraft is a "sandbox" game taken to the extreme. Another example of a "sandbox" game would Sim City or Theme Park.
Minecraft is pretty such so open you could make your own entire world. Do not let the graphics fool you, this game can do alot. When playing the game mode survival you start off with nothing. You have till night to build or find some sort of shelter before the baddies come and getcha. How do you do this you ask? Well you first find a tree and punch it until a block breaks. Now you will have a wood block. Now you can craft wood planks with said wood block. From there you can make tools, weapons, etc... There is so much you can make in this game it is amazing. There is also alot of other great gems in this game. The biggest one being redstone. Redstone is kind of like binary. IT is either on or off. Redstone can power certain things like a sticky piston, piston, hopper, and other things. Using this you can make some amazing things. I have seen simple stuff like automatic doors, to a full blown computer.. This game in the right circumstances can be educational to a child of the right age due to the amount of things you can do and how you do it.

As for him playing games all the time... Eh if things are like they are over here when bullying and public school are concerned.. Games give him a place where he feels okay. You can actually meet people who like you and share interests... Having friends on minecraft is a plug if you want to make something big like a mansion, bridge, or sculpture of pikachu.

Hope that answers some of your questions...
Thanks, Twitch. It's just his constant interaction with Mindcraft that has me concerned. I had heard that it could be pretty educational and also a decent way to get them to expand their imagination. Your explanation helps - he never gives me that much detail.

blackheeler

iHF Regular
WCG Team Member
Thanks Twitch, now I know why we have to set game time limits on our 11 year old twins when it comes to Minecraft (and screen time in general!).
Have you got some Minecraft terminology that I can use to freak them out? Nothing like a parent like, saying stuff that, like, is totes amazeballs and so (un)cool :roflmao:

Twitch6000

Person Of All Kinds
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Thanks Twitch, now I know why we have to set game time limits on our 11 year old twins when it comes to Minecraft (and screen time in general!).
Have you got some Minecraft terminology that I can use to freak them out? Nothing like a parent like, saying stuff that, like, is totes amazeballs and so (un)cool :roflmao:
I felt this was right -

Anyways onto your questions...

As for Minecraft terms.. There isn't really many.. However with that being said, knowing things like the enemies such as Creepers... That could be fun.

Maybe something like Have you had your daily dose of creepers blowing up your house...lol.. (That was really lame don't actually say that lol)

My best suggestion would be to watch a few Minecraft videos. I would suggest SethBling if you want to see what is possible in minecraft.

For more of the General game play and other neat things... Any MineCraft commentator would be good. My personal favorite when they still played was SkitScape and Fawdz.

-------------

Another thing I did forget to mention about Minecraft is, it doesn't stop at what you can do on the Vanilla. This game has a GIANT mod community. There are mods of all kinds for this game. Simple things like flying in survival mode to new creatures entirely.

Last edited:

Twitch6000

Person Of All Kinds
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Here is a few videos -

(Oh how I miss these two making videos.... :( )

Claw

iHF Regular
Whoa, people, check me out. I have a 23 yr. old daughter who's becoming a nurse, a 19 yr.old stepson that's an electrician, a 14 yr.old son that's my Playstation buddy, and a 5 yr.old daughter that just started school, oh yea, and I'm 57 yrs.old. My wife is a 45 yr.old teacher and I'm far from a mom. I was a brick paver layer, a roofer, landscaper, nightclub bouncer and a bounty hunter, and now I repair and program computers. I can't help with the games either because all I have time for is Halo, or Madden Football, with my son, but when we play, it gets VICIOUS, LOL.

DCiAdmin

Administrator
iHF Legend
WCG Team Member
I've updated the title of this to be The Parent Blog, since it seems that the forum is mostly male dominated :) Dear Lord, Nick, you've had quite a variety of employment. Are you enjoying your latest venture into computers?

veeg

Live Long And Eat Bacon
WCG Team Member
I am a jack of all trades i reckon,tried to teach what i know to my kids but it seems between my 2 boys and my daughter,my daughter seemed to be the only one interested...My mid son is a store manager at Books-o-million in SC,my youngest son is a pc geek and a movie geek and my daughter is a smart phone tech at AT&T......

EDIT:...my daughter-in-law is interested as well....HMMMMMM! maybe i should had all girls....go figure...:)

Claw

iHF Regular
DCiAdmin, yes, the computer is by far the safest, Lol. I've just recently (semi)-retired from working for the Bail Agency, and the roofing was the longest job I had. Yes, the computer work is very interesting, I got interested in it while I was in a band-( it was a hobby that paid), and we got tired of paying people to repair ours every time something went wrong on the road.

DCiAdmin

Administrator
iHF Legend
WCG Team Member
I've learned while road tripping with the children that there are very few animals that begin with the letters E, I, Q, X, Y, or Z. We ran through the alphabet several times over trying to come up with animals that start with the next letter of the alphabet and seldom could go much past the first round with the above letters. I think we made it a few times beyond once with both E & I, but it couldn't have been many. We also tried naming animals using the last letter of the word played before. Another tough one as many words end in E, L, M, N, or S. That didn't give us much variety in our words to choose from.

I've also learned that electronics are often preferable to watching the roadside scenery. That sort of thinking escapes me. I actually heard one of them say - Well, we've already seen mountains, and these are just more mountains. Wow - how can the on-screen view be better than the fabulous scenery of the American West?

Vacation was a joy, the sights were amazing, and I came home completely tired. :) Seems like the adage of needing to go back to work to rest from vacation is true.

Hope your summer (Winter for Bear & CD) is going well!

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
I've learned while road tripping with the children that there are very few animals that begin with the letters E, I, Q, X, Y, or Z. We ran through the alphabet several times over trying to come up with animals that start with the next letter of the alphabet and seldom could go much past the first round with the above letters. I think we made it a few times beyond once with both E & I, but it couldn't have been many. We also tried naming animals using the last letter of the word played before. Another tough one as many words end in E, L, M, N, or S. That didn't give us much variety in our words to choose from.

I've also learned that electronics are often preferable to watching the roadside scenery. That sort of thinking escapes me. I actually heard one of them say - Well, we've already seen mountains, and these are just more mountains. Wow - how can the on-screen view be better than the fabulous scenery of the American West?

Vacation was a joy, the sights were amazing, and I came home completely tired. :) Seems like the adage of needing to go back to work to rest from vacation is true.

Hope your summer (Winter for Bear & CD) is going well!
We have animals (marsupials) that starts with a Q = Quokka http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quokka

Quoll, Quaill

Here's some more for your list E = Echidna http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Echidna

Emu, Egret, Eagle

Numbat, Numpty

Yak

Zebu, Zebra

DCiAdmin

Administrator
iHF Legend
WCG Team Member