• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to iHelpForum - the place to get help from knowledgeable techs in all areas of Tech, Home and Auto help. Consider checking out our Guides or Registering an account to post on our forums today.

Stan - An Australian Streaming Service

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
We have just signed up for a free months trial of Stan, which will cost us $12.00 a month for the three screen plan.

It has a lot of Australian tv shows etc. that Netflix has not got available.

American shows by the ship load including Friends, Frasier, Seinfeld, to name a few of the old ones.

The couple of movies that we watched yesterday did not go full screen, but that may be a quirk of the free trial.

Lord Chance

iHelpForum Jester & Door Greeter
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Open to users out of Oz, Bear?
This may answer your question Mate.
3. Eligibility and Access
3.1 To create an Account which will allow you to subscribe to the Stan Service, you must:
(a) be at least 18 years of age;
(b) provide us with an email address;
(c) provide us with the details of a valid credit/debit card ("Valid Card"); and
(d) have an Australian residential address and provide us with your postcode.

3.2 To access the Stan Service, you must:
(a) set up an Account;
(b) have a Supported Device that is connected to the internet in Australia;
(c) install the Stan App (if necessary); and
(d) subject to the specific terms of any Promotional Offer (as defined below), pay the monthly Stan Service fee in accordance with clause 4 below.

3.3 To get the most from your Stan Service, you will require a minimum effective internet line speed of 3.0Mbps for SD Content and 5.0Mbps for HD Content.

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
It well and truly does LC.

I am watching a tv series called 11.22.63 by Steven King about going back in time to stop JFK getting shot. It's been good so far.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/11.22.63
This weekend I bought the first TV I've had in this house in the near twenty years I have lived here. It is one of those smart TVs that has ROKU which lets me stream shows from the Internet. No more than I would watch it the free stuff will be more that enough to keep me busy. It is a 32" tv and I may use it as a monitor. :D

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Roku is a external media player like my old Western Digital media players.

I used my old Samsung as a secondary monitor with Amadeus_II, but have not hooked the Hisence up yet as a I do not have a long enough hdmi cable, I need a three metre one to use on the HP notebook.

The old cable is no good as it is dvi / hdmi, and there is no dvi port on the HP.

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
My Sharp LC-32LB591U is not considered Hi-Def being only 720p but it has some nice features. One feature is having ROKU built in so all I need is Wi-Fi to stream from the Internet. It also has a USB port so with a powered hub there are lots of possibilities. I don't watch TV as it were but I do like the occasional look see. :)

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
It also has a USB port so with a powered hub there are lots of possibilities
That's what I have done, I have that 1 TB WD hard drive I bought at the same time as the tv hooked into one of the usb ports.

The other one has my logitech keyboard plugged in but it only works with Netflix, YouTube and Stan do not recognise it so have to use the remote to search for stuff.

Twitch6000

Person Of All Kinds
Advisor
WCG Team Member
The more streaming services the better in my opinion. It is forcing big cable companies to change their ways.

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member