• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to iHelpForum - the place to get help from knowledgeable techs in all areas of Tech, Home and Auto help. Consider checking out our Guides or Registering an account to post on our forums today.

Setting up a fresh windows install for security.

Twitch6000

Person Of All Kinds
Advisor
WCG Team Member
NBK*Twitch submitted a new resource:

Setting up a fresh windows install for security

So you just got through installing Windows and you want to have a secure system,but you don't want to pay for anything or you just do not have the money. Well I am going to tell you how to do this :happy:.

First you will need an anti virus,
Read more about this resource...

Last edited:

Yuri

Somewhere
iHF Regular
Advisor
WCG Team Member
I think we can have a very intresting discussion about this. You recommend Avast, but since it's a very common reason for Windows 8 users to get BSODs especially with the drivers it installs now a days, is it really such a good suggestion?

LoneWolf_53

Cap'n Crunch
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
At this point in time I really like Bitdefender Free.

Small footprint, effective, highly ranked (above Microsoft's own MSE), and no issues at all that I've encountered.

I tried Avast some time back and it seemed to not play nice, then while tuning up a few computers that had issues, I found replacing it cured the problems.

AntiVir PE is another well worth considering.

@ Twitch - I think you have one too many "ups" in your title. ;)

I like everything but the AV choice.

I don't view myself as tied to any particular product, AV wise, but do try to stay on top of what's currently the best.

2011 is a long time ago in so far as AV Software rankings go.

A while back MSE was one of the best to run, and I was using it, but it has also lost ground in the last year, to where Bitdefender ranks noticeably better than it.

That's my 2¢ for what it's worth. :)

Last edited:

Pancake

To Protect and Serve
iHF Master Craftsman
Security Advisor
I think it should be left to the user as to what AV they use.Give them a list to choose from.?

Twitch6000

Person Of All Kinds
Advisor
WCG Team Member
I seem to not get notifications from this, so I apologize for not responding sooner. This was basically an old article of mine that I need to update.

I do agree a list of free AV would be better to do.

@Yuri I have seen every AntiVirus on Every Windows version link to BSODs. I do understand your point and will update this article with a list to choose from.

Edit: I have edited the article to fix these issues. My apologizes again for not doing this sooner.

Last edited:

TechJohn

iHF Veteran
WCG Team Member
I think we can have a very intresting discussion about this. You recommend Avast, but since it's a very common reason for Windows 8 users to get BSODs especially with the drivers it installs now a days, is it really such a good suggestion?
I've had issues with AVAST as well, but with any AV can causes BSOD and filter issues. Almost all of the time its software conflicts-ion. All comes down to what the root causes is.

I think it should be left to the user as to what AV they use.Give them a list to choose from.?
I totally agree