1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to iHelpForum - the place to get help from knowledgeable techs in all areas of Tech, Home and Auto help. Consider checking out our Guides or Registering an account to post on our forums today.

Dismiss Notice

Conversation Raspberry Pi the Journey Begins

Discussion in 'Tech Lounge' started by Lord Chance, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Arctos

Arctos Beware of the Bear... iHF Veteran Advisor WCG Team Member

I have something similar that I use on the Samsung Tab 2, but I don't think it will work with Pi.

Probably have to get a Pi and try it and find out, but I do not think a third party Pi monitor will fit the Samsung socket...

2. Lord Chance

Lord Chance iHelpForum Jester & Door Greeter iHF Veteran Advisor WCG Team Member

Yours must be like a docking station. My keyboard will work with Mac, Windows and Android. It connects thru bluetooth. Reason I don't carry it much is because it is bloody heavy to be so small. :)

3. Arctos

Arctos Beware of the Bear... iHF Veteran Advisor WCG Team Member

Yes your right mate, I just remembered that's what it is. I do have a blue tooth keyboard in the junk box it was plurry laggy typing on the Samsung Galaxy that's why I got the proper Samsung keyboard for it.

4. Lord Chance

Lord Chance iHelpForum Jester & Door Greeter iHF Veteran Advisor WCG Team Member

Have been playing some of those old NES and Super NES games. Man does that bring back memories. Looks like the RetroPi does work. Imagine that. :)

Arctos likes this.
  5. Belahzur

Belahzur Freedom Fighter Moderator iHF Regular Security Advisor

I have the slightly older Pi 2, I must say I've always loved working with the Pi. I love how simple the Pi has made developing - if you break it down, any distribution that sits on top of an already established Linux kernel with some minor adaptions to work with Pi, along with having BusyBox for command line tools built in - It's amazing how you can have a fully built machine for £30.

My Pi 2 was and still is running RaspBMC, I never bothered to flash the newer Kodi, but it works well if you run your own media FTP to play files from. It was later replaced by the Fire TV boxset, but as a way of learning Linux command line functions, you can't really beat a Pi.

(though I guess a Fire TV is the same thing, Amazon's own UI sitting on top of a Linux kernel)

Lord Chance likes this.
  6. Lord Chance

I've had a blast getting my Raspberry Pi 3 running. Only drawback to working with it is configuration. I don't have a dedicated monitor so I have to switch back and forth. I'll get that squared away. I just don't have time to pay full attention to what I am doing. Doctors keep me busy. :)

7. Lord Chance

Well....It has been over two weeks since starting this journey. I've learned somethings and gotten some surprises. RetroPi has been fun but I had to re-image the SD card because I could not get the Logitech F31o game pad to work properly and before you ask, 'Yes' I botched the config file and didn't know how to back up. You must remember that I am a LINUX Neophyte so I am still learning to BASH, SUDO, GET. To re-image the SD card and update everything took over 12 hours. Maybe I did something wrong? Again? Um, Probably. I plan to let things rest for a few days. I need to order the heat sinks and a few item I want before I continue. I recommend buying the package with the heat sinks because you will need them. That is it for now. Old LC needs his rest. He is under the weather again. Just can't shake this crud. It's the bloody weather I tell ya. :)

8. Lord Chance

If you told me I could spend a lot of money on the Pi I would have just laughed at you but I have racked up some frequent flyer miles to be sure. Here are some of my latest purchases.

The 7" Touch Screen Display: $60 USD

PiDisplay_stp1.jpg

This shows the display with the Pi 3 attached.

PiDisplay_stp6.jpg

And the WD PiDrive. The total on that was $64 USD. That included 2 extra cables.

02_Hero_974x974_PiDriveFoundation_375GB.jpg.imgw.1000.1000.jpg

Oh, And the heat sink kit. My advice, don't forget to get the heat sink kit. :)

veeg likes this.
  9. Crush

Crush I am admin, ruler of my domain Administrator iHF Master Craftsman

They just released a board with bluetooth and wifi for $10

10. Lord Chance

Aye. The Pi Zero just got Bluetooth and Wifi so it is now called Pi Zero W.

Here's a look at the Zero W's other key specs:

• 512MB RAM
    • Mini-HDMI and USB On-The-Go ports
    • Micro-USB power
    • HAT-compatible 40-pin header
    • Composite video and reset headers
    • CSI camera connector
    pi-zero.jpg

veeg likes this.
  11. Lord Chance

I know it has been some time since I have made comments about my Raspberry Pi journey and fortunate for you it may be some time before I get back to my travels. Along with my other purchases I also followed the Turtle Man's lead and bought a couple of NES game pads for Retro Pi. Unlike the honorable Turtle Man I bought the cheap versions. The INext branded game pads seem to work well enough and feel solid so I bought two for the price of one of the true article.

@Crush - Before you demand pictures of the game pads I must refuse. I think I know you well enough to know you would just point and giggle. Kind of like my last girl friend after she saw me when I stepped out of the shower. :whistle:
    :D

Let me leave you with some thoughts on the Raspberry Pi.
    • It is basically a toy. An educational toy but a toy none the less. This is not to say it is useless. There are many things it can do and some things it does very well. If you like to experiment then the Pi is worth the small price.
    • While none of the addons I bought for the Pi were expensive you can definitely nickle and dime your budget into submission. I have spent over $200 USD on just addons but I can justify part of that by those items I can use with other devices. You can avoid that trap by knowing what you will use the Pi for ahead of time. Will I buy other thing for my Pi? Probably. :lol:
    • Was the money spent worth it? For me it was. I have enjoyed the experience and will continue playing with the Pi. Learning and enjoying the process of the learning experience keeps me young and the mind active. I look forward to the next adventure in learning something new. :)
    If you are looking for a computer to surf the web or read email then buy an Android Tablet. They are cheap and you can carry them anywhere. If you are into robotics, programming or just seeing what you can create then get a Raspberry Pi. There is a very big community of Pi users out there with ideas and useful advice. ;)

Crush likes this.