• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to iHelpForum - the place to get help from knowledgeable techs in all areas of Tech, Home and Auto help. Consider checking out our Guides or Registering an account to post on our forums today.

Radio Delete?

DCiAdmin

Always room to learn a bit more
Administrator
iHF Legend
WCG Team Member
Anyone have knowledge of what Radio Delete means? I'm trying to buy a wiring harness for an aftermarket radio for Tessa's 2008 Hyundai Elantra. I need to figure out if the system has Radio Delete. Here's what I'm looking at at Amazon.

Lord Chance

iHelpForum Jester & Door Greeter
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
It is just the panel that covers the place where a radio should be if it came without a factory radio. Not an issue with most cars today. In fact it is a special order option that cost you extra to have the car come without a radio. :lol:

The kit you are looking at is a Single/Double DIN kit meaning it will take either a Single DIN radio, usually 7"x2", or a the double height radio. The Radio Delete they refer to is possibly the cubby shown in the image or a plate to fill above or below the radio in case you install a Single DIN radio.

DCiAdmin

Administrator
iHF Legend
WCG Team Member
Sorry to be so long responding. The radio installation occurred at a bad time. Office move took priority.

Thank you for the explanation, LC. That helped when I called local installers :) I still don't understand why there would be two different wiring harnesses - radio delete or not radio delete - but guess that doesn't matter. I just need to find the right harness now.

LC, you'll get a kick out of this. I called the local Hyundai dealership hoping they would offer aftermarket wiring harnesses for this task. They don't :( but I did ask the Hyundai guy about Radio Delete. He had no idea what it meant. I suggested that might be when a car comes from the factory without a radio, and he thought that might be reasonable. :D

I'll restart my search tomorrow for the correct harness. Tessa's car is NOT Radio Delete so I need the harness that doesn't have that pin structure. I do need to find out if her car is domestic or import production - apparently that matters for this.

Other good story that came from this effort - Tessa's car was returned to her without a radio while I search for the right harness. But the mechanic / installer that took the radio out also didn't put back the dash "faceplate" which still contained the clock, heating vents and hazard button. Without the hazard button, she had no turn signals. Without looking at this myself and being out of town, I called the mechanic to see if he could "repair" her turn signals. He said that he was swamped and wasn't sure what it would take, could we leave the car for the day. One call to the brother-in-law and Tessa figures out that the hazard button, vents and clock can all be pushed out of the faceplate and be easily reconnected to the wires sticking out of her dash. I think I have a budding independent young lady on my hands. Pretty proud of her!

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
After doing a bit more research I feel I need to clarify some things. The will be two different wiring setups. One is for the standard stereo option and the other is for the Steering Wheel control option. You will need to know if the factory stereo had a CD changer, 2, 4 or 6 speakers and of course Radio Delete. If you use Crutchfield you will have a better range of options for stereos and very reasonable prices. I know I sound like a pitchman for the company but you will get better information and service there than Amazon.com.:)

DCiAdmin

Administrator
iHF Legend
WCG Team Member
While she would love to have Steering Wheel control of her tunes, I'm not going to go that far in the modifications area. Thanks, LC - I'll give Crutchfield a look/call.

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
The steering wheel controls is an option and is not something you need worry about if it is not installed. If you have not settled on a replacement stereo then Crutchfield can help there too. Pricewise, they can compete with the big box stores like Wal Mart. Plus you have someone you can ask for help. As for the stereo itself, I would advise buying a Digital Media Receiver something like this... https://www.crutchfield.com/p_105KDX340B/JVC-KD-X340BTS.html?tp=72453

These stereos use SD cards and USB flash drives to store music. Also the can act as Hands-Free for your phone. I think you can see the benefits.

Oh and one more thing. Todays definition of Radio Delete is a radio that has a removable face or control plate. Just found this out from an old stereo installer friend of mine. He told me to tell you that you shouldn't listen to LC because LC is an old fool. :lol:

DCiAdmin

Administrator
iHF Legend
WCG Team Member
I have already purchased a replacement stereo for Tessa. She's got a bit of a heavy foot and swears that her speedometer is a bit off. Unfortunately, her mechanic, his computer and GPS on my phone all agree that her speedometer is only 2 mph off mark. So the stereo I purchased will shout at her if it senses her car going more than 5 mph above speed limit. My brother-in-law has the same stereo and swears by the GPS and speed monitoring.

Oh, and as far as your friend goes - I agree with your original assessment. The wiring harnesses use the phrase "factory radio delete" so that must mean coming from the factory without a radio. I don't believe that I have ever seen a factory stereo with a removable faceplate.

Thanks again, LC :)