• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to iHelpForum - the place to get help from knowledgeable techs in all areas of Tech, Home and Auto help. Consider checking out our Guides or Registering an account to post on our forums today.

Question about old gas.....

DCiAdmin

Always room to learn a bit more
Administrator
iHF Legend
WCG Team Member
Got an odd one for you. Nick and I purchased an old (very old) RV probably 5 years back. We drove it a bit for 2 years and then I lost Nick to cancer. I found a "permanent" campground and parked it. Removed the tags and insurance and hoped it would stay there forever. Forever apparently means something new these days. The campground has been sold and all leased campsites have been served eviction papers. I think the RV was last started in 2013 but hasn't been driven at all since being parked at the campground.

I'm worried about the fuel in the RV - gas, not diesel. I have no idea how much is in it, how old it might be, or if I even dare start it. I really don't recall putting gas in since we bought the damn thing. Someone tonight suggested charging the batteries and then cranking up the generator. If the generator runs for a while (30 minutes or more) then I might have a chance with the fuel in the engine. The fellow I talked with had no idea of an octane booster or fuel cleaner might be useful or not.

Open to suggestions, prayers or just good vibes.

Cameldung

I Like It Here
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Plenty of variables here, but all things being equal 2 years is not over the top for straight petrol. What you could try is to put say 20 litres on top of what is in there diluting the old stuff into better stuff. Make sure the engine oil is still oily, if you know what I mean.

If its a old vehicle you may be able to drain the old fuel via a drain plug, but 2 years is not too bad for stored fuel, not ideal but ok.

DCiAdmin

Administrator
iHF Legend
WCG Team Member
Thank you, CD. I'm hopeful that it will move without issue. Once I get beyond my fuel worries, then I get to start worrying about the tire quality. You're right - there are a lot of variables in this one.

veeg

Live Long And Eat Bacon
WCG Team Member
The generator and the rv are not on equal footing here because of the carbs...It would be more likely the generator will not start at all because of the ethanol in our gas,unless you put a ethanol/stabilizer in the gas tank before hand. The ethanol after a while will set into a gel like substance and clog the jets in the carb.. Now hopefully it will not be an issue with the RV. I usually do a octane booster and a fuel/carb cleaner with fresh gas and even with some fuel stabilizer in it.. Before you crank the RV check all your fuilds,maybe charge the battery if needed and if it does crank let the RV run at idle to circulate the oil in the engine before you drive or rev it up..

Lord Chance

iHelpForum Jester & Door Greeter
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
One thing I must say is that 2 years setting does not mean you will encounter major problems. My only concern is with the cooling system. If it has not been properly stored and the cooling system was not properly winterized then you may have problems. We all know what ice in a closed cooling system will do.

DCiAdmin

Administrator
iHF Legend
WCG Team Member
A question about the "fresh gas". Are you saying that I should try to empty the tank as it exists today or am I good to add fresh gas on top of what is in the tank?

@Lord Chance - yes! Sea Foam is the product I was trying to think of last night. Good stuff.

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
A question about the "fresh gas". Are you saying that I should try to empty the tank as it exists today or am I good to add fresh gas on top of what is in the tank?

@Lord Chance - yes! Sea Foam is the product I was trying to think of last night. Good stuff.
If the tank is not already empty, I would just add fresh gas. I am assuming the gas tank was not full when parked. :)

DCiAdmin

Administrator
iHF Legend
WCG Team Member
That's the thing. I haven't got a clue if it's empty or if it has 50 gallons in it. Could be either.

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
That's the thing. I haven't got a clue if it's empty or if it has 50 gallons in it. Could be either.
The fuel gage does not work? If the battery has a sufficient charge the insert the key in the ignition and turn the key to the on position. If it doesn't work then if the fuel tank is accessible then just tap on it with your knuckles. If the tank sounds hollow then the tank is empty. If the tank has gas it will sound more muffled.

DCiAdmin

Administrator
iHF Legend
WCG Team Member
lol, no, it's not that. I'm just not close to the rv.

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
lol, no, it's not that. I'm just not close to the rv.
Forgive me M'Lady. I should not have assumed. In these days you may be surprised how many would not know such things. I assure you it is not just a female thing. I know many young males who can not even change a tire or put oil in the engine without guidance. :caution:

Cameldung

I Like It Here
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Forgive me M'Lady. I should not have assumed. In these days you may be surprised how many would not know such things. I assure you it is not just a female thing. I know many young males who can not even change a tire or put oil in the engine without guidance. :caution:
Yes LC and I seemed to have employed em all.

Cameldung

I Like It Here
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
I must say, I did have a couple of the best over the years. the trade was good to me. i fear your kind words are somewhat overestimating my ability though, but thank you.

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
I must say, I did have a couple of the best over the years. the trade was good to me. i fear your kind words are somewhat overestimating my ability though, but thank you.
As the wise man once said, "When we judge our selves by our own standards, we seem to never measure up." I have brought out my machinist's scale and measured you Mate. You measure true to 1/1000th. Close enough for me. :mrgreen:

DCiAdmin

Administrator
iHF Legend
WCG Team Member
Tapping on the fuel tank leads me to think that it's empty. For that small favor, I'm grateful. We will have to haul out a generator to charge the batteries and a couple of fuel cans to give the engine a go. I've got until November 30th to relocate the RV, so there's a bit of time. Thank you all for your comments and advice!