• Welcome to iHelpForum - the place to get help from knowledgeable techs in all areas of Tech, Home and Auto help. Consider checking out our Guides or Registering an account to post on our forums today.

New Gaming Build

Belahzur

Freedom Fighter
Security Advisor
iHF Regular
So... new job, good pay... show me teh monies. So here's my new build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CGvBHx

So as you can see, quite an expensive setup, not fully built but that's the overall plan for what I'm buying & I'm just looking at any possible bottlenecks now.

As with any upgrade, the PSU is the big one here, I managed to overheat and kill my old 500w PSU so I bought a fully modular 850w, with possibility to upgrade that to 1000+w if needs be, so I'm asking for your advice here guys, anything I should keep in mind?

Crush

I am admin, ruler of my domain
Administrator
iHF Master Craftsman
Pics or it didn't happen....

Overall the build looks good. I would go with a Corsair PSU but that is personal preference. Nice upgrade potential down the road too.

Your case is going to be my next tech buy

Lord Chance

iHelpForum Jester & Door Greeter
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Nice build Belahzur. I use the Corsair Vengeance memory. Runs good. Just bought a 1000watt Modular PSU. Way to go in my opinion. I just bought a Corsair H100i water cooler. Has two 120mm fans. I'm going to do some testing to see how that goes. The Corsair fans can be noisy. I bought 3 120mm and am not happy with them. All in all, I'm envious of you. :)

Belahzur

Freedom Fighter
Security Advisor
iHF Regular
Well the Corsair 750D comes with 3 fans built in with options to add 5 more, so I could grab 5 more 140mm Corsair fans if heat is an issue.

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Well the Corsair 750D comes with 3 fans built in with options to add 5 more, so I could grab 5 more 140mm Corsair fans if heat is an issue.
You should get good flow thru the case with the nice cable management arrangement. Nice case. I'm looking at a NZXT Source 530 case.

Rustys

Nice build I do not remember where I saw it the mind is startign to gone. One of the cases I read some place has the cables run behind the MB.

Why not go water cooled?

Belahzur

Freedom Fighter
Security Advisor
iHF Regular
I could, but I know very very limited with regards to water/liquid cooling, I'm looking at the Corsair H100i cooler, but I've never set one up so I may need to ask for help :p

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Just installed the Corsair H100i. Was a simple install but make sure your case is compatible. Things I would do different. Use a good thermal paste instead of what came with the H100i. I want to use it a few days to see some real world numbers. Right out of the box I am seeing lower temps but not what I expected. :)

Belahzur

Freedom Fighter
Security Advisor
iHF Regular
Corsair h100i GTX is on the way here, I also picked up a Samsung M.2 256gb Gen3 PCI Express board, 10gb bandwidth... speed demon.

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Corsair h100i GTX is on the way here, I also picked up a Samsung M.2 256gb Gen3 PCI Express board, 10gb bandwidth... speed demon.
Very nice Belahzur. If I may offer some advice. Use a good quality thermal paste on the H100i and if you have the room you might use a push\pull configuration on the fans. The H100i will control up to 4 fans. The thermal paste that come with the H100i is ok to be sure but if you plan to OC it will not be adequate. My i7 950 ran at least 50c before I installed the water cooler and now I get 35c at an ambient room temp of 29c. :)

Belahzur

Freedom Fighter
Security Advisor
iHF Regular
well new PC is up running, pics or didn't happen....

Belahzur

Freedom Fighter
Security Advisor
iHF Regular
For sake of utility should I ever need it, I'm adding in a new PCI-E wireless card.

TP-Link Archer T9E, 3 antennas that can use the newer 802.11ac standard.

Belahzur

Freedom Fighter
Security Advisor
iHF Regular
Update:
Updated PCPartPicker list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/sx9LmG

Picture of my current battlestation

I'm upgrading my desk next month so I can add another monitor or two, but so far, there is my sexy black/red theme with my new keyboard :)

Belahzur

Freedom Fighter
Security Advisor
iHF Regular

So I did a little work to my setup today, cleaned up those evil snaking cables, just for reference, this is how it looked originally.

Also added in my NZXT 2m Red LED cable to match my Asus black/red theme, took out my old spin HDD since I've gone full SSD only (you can spot my GREEN Samsung m.2 drive)
I think I'm finally happy with my build, now to get my new desk and then I'm calling it a day, so much work has gone into this setup :)

More pics later.

Belahzur

Freedom Fighter
Security Advisor
iHF Regular
So since people on PCMR likes to sit down a lot, I just bought myself a Vertagear SL4000, basically our version of the DX Racer Gaming chair. Coming tomorrow, black/red leather theme to match my setup, looking forward to it.