• Welcome to iHelpForum - the place to get help from knowledgeable techs in all areas of Tech, Home and Auto help. Consider checking out our Guides or Registering an account to post on our forums today.

Solved Locked files

brewster393

iHF Regular
Greetings!
I need some help, I've suddenly got a file I can't get access to - as there's a padlock icon come up against it.
It says I need permission to access it- It appears to be about "Users & Administrators" but I keep going around in circles.
Any ideas
(yes I'm a computer knucklehead)

Pancake

To Protect and Serve
iHF Master Craftsman
Security Advisor
You can also use TakeOwnerShip to take over all your files.

Edit
Beaten to it by the hump

Cameldung

I Like It Here
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Yes PC, Files, folders, and drives. It really is essential when using external drives with files created on a different pc that are not accessible on another.

brewster393

iHF Regular
Go to control panel,find user accounts ...click that...what shows up....if standard user change it to administrator by using the (change account type)..
O.K. I,ve done that and I,m down as an administrator (password protected), but it still says I don't have the correct permissions to access the file location...................

brewster393

iHF Regular
Hello brewster and welcome back..
Is this file is new to your computer.. by that I mean are you aware of it's origin?

To add to what veeg has asked.. if there is only one user account on the machine then you will have an administrators account.
Hello! Yes I know about the file history, It was the One I spoke to you about at Crimbo - the one that went missing
I found it by accident when doing a de-frag it had been put into another file of which I must admit I do not have a clue about, It is H:\85b11fa4710958ecb9dd7a979878\ and there is a padlock icon next to it........................

brewster393

iHF Regular
Ok if you know what the file is then,try what the other 3 has suggested to do to open that file..
Yo! I've downloaded and installed take ownership, the pad locks have disappeared from the first two sub-files but is still against the final file (T.V. Progs)

brewster393

iHF Regular
Yo! I've downloaded and installed take ownership, the pad locks have disappeared from the first two sub-files but is still against the final file (T.V. Progs)
E.G. the padlock icon has gone from file "Foyle's War" it has also gone from file "Season 1"but when I go to individual episodes the padlock icon remains. the take ownership screen flashes for about half a second - I am unable to read it.......................

Cameldung

I Like It Here
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Website is down at present by the looks of it...
At the risk of hijacking this thread, just tried again, and yes no connection. Dont know if it was the official site or not, but sure looked right?

Still ok at filehippo.

Pancake

To Protect and Serve
iHF Master Craftsman
Security Advisor
Sounds as if you will need to go to individual episode file, right click. Go to Properties-Security and then Edit all (Group and user names) tick them all except Special Permissions.