• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to iHelpForum - the place to get help from knowledgeable techs in all areas of Tech, Home and Auto help. Consider checking out our Guides or Registering an account to post on our forums today.

Google will kill ad blocking in Chrome.

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Google has confirmed that in a future release (and not distant future, we mean quite soon) the ability for ad-blocking extensions to do their thing will be removed.

The proposal–dubbed Manifest V3–will see a major transformation to Chrome extensions that includes a revamp of the permissions system. It will mean modern ad blockers such as uBlock Origin—which uses Chrome’s webRequest API to block ads before they’re downloaded–won’t work. This is because Manifest V3 sees Google halt the webRequest API’s ability to block a particular request before it’s loaded.
I hope that Ausdroid have got it wrong about this, as I hate adverts with a passion.

I have installed that Brave browser they recommend on the Chromebook, but it seems to be a work in progress as when you go to Bookmarks in the settings and look for the Bookmark Manager it is not there so I could not import my bookmarks into it. :wtf:

https://ausdroid.net/2019/06/02/goo...t-a-great-time-to-switch-to-brave-or-firefox/

Lord Chance

iHelpForum Jester & Door Greeter
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Adblocking is a major drain on Google's ad revenue so it is just a matter of time. The other browsers will follow suit so I am thinking about using a hardware ad wall. I have two Raspberry Pi devices sitting here waiting for something to do so with Pi-hole I can block incoming ads like using a firewall.:caution:

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
I have two Raspberry Pi devices sitting here waiting for something to do so with Pi-hole I can block incoming ads like using a firewall.:caution:
I do not want to go to that extent of using a hardware firewall.

However I had a look around and come across this free dns server which cuts out adverts called Alternate DNS, I do not know if Google will stop this doing it's thing tho'. I cannot get into the advanced settings on the pos Sagencom modem / router that Optus supplies as it is locked down tight and and I cannot get into the dns settings to change them.

I edited the settings that were in the Chromebook's wifi networks dns settings, and it seems to work ok when I go to a couple of websites that have a load of adverts in incognito mode which overides uBlock Origin and it has cut them out.

So here's hoping.

Alternate DNS offers an affordable, global Domain Name System (DNS) resolution service, that you can use to block unwanted ads.

Try it out:

Set your DNS to 23.253.163.53 & 198.101.242.72
https://alternate-dns.com/index.php

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
I have setup Pi-Hole on one of my Raspberry Pi devices and so fare it works as well or better that the ad blocker extensions I had in Chrome. The setup was easy as well. I didn't have to touch my router and now I can black list those ads that get thru. It even blocks those ads in youtube videos. LOL!

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
I have setup Pi-Hole on one of my Raspberry Pi devices and so fare it works as well or better that the ad blocker extensions I had in Chrome. The setup was easy as well. I didn't have to touch my router and now I can black list those ads that get thru. It even blocks those ads in youtube videos. LOL!
If the Pi is plug and pray like that I might think about it, if that DNS does not work after Google bring their block in

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
If the Pi is plug and pray like that I might think about it, if that DNS does not work after Google bring their block in
Plug and play? Not by my definition nor yours I wager. After I figured out the SD card I was using had issues, I was up and running within 30 minutes. I won't lie to you Arctos, there is a bit of work involved. For me it was something to do. I had the Pi devices, time and the Pi_hole software was free. As for Google crippling the ad blockers, There will always be someone to fill that gap. If you look you will find several stand alone ad blockers that are not chrome extensions. :)

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
I have been plug and "praying" since Win ME. :lol:

On the Winders boxes I can go back to Admuncher, or I will when I get round to it change the DNS.

On the Chromebook it is hard (for me at present) to side load apk files as I am a bit wary of the steps to do it.

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Alternate DNS seems to kill the Dilbert cartoons with a broken link on the Chromebook with their dns settings. Works alright with the stock dns server on the Android.
I tried Alternate DNS today and never had any luck with it. Not sure what I was doing wrong. It kept wanting me to sign up for the service.

I'm looking at AdGuard DNS.