• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to iHelpForum - the place to get help from knowledgeable techs in all areas of Tech, Home and Auto help. Consider checking out our Guides or Registering an account to post on our forums today.

Existing folders not visible in Documents?

LoneWolf_53

Cap'n Crunch
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
So I have encountered something that puzzles me. A friend purchased a new HP all in one computer and I moved all his documents from his old PC onto his new one using a flash drive.
After I did that I checked and all the file/folders were present in the new PC, with everything working fine.
Skip ahead two weeks, and my friend says there are a significant number of the folders, which I put into his Documents directory, no longer visible.

I went by and looked for myself and sure enough they are not displayed.

The odd part however is we can enter the name of a folder we know was there, into windows search, and it will show up. When you look at the file path it shows it residing in the Documents directory where it's supposed to be. ?????????????????

Anyone have this happen to them before?

It's a new PC with Windows 10 HE X64 installed on it.

Other than that all is functioning as it should.

Crush

I am admin, ruler of my domain
Administrator
iHF Master Craftsman
Silly question, but what are these attributes set to? I have seen a similar thing happen where I can browse to the folder in Windows Explorer when saving a document and nowhere else

Can you actually manually browse to a location the user says is hidden/not there?

Capture.PNG

LoneWolf_53

Cap'n Crunch
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Thanks guys. I shall double check the individual file attributes.
I know the general folder settings are set to hide system files, as I don't want him inadvertently messing around with them, as he doesn't know what he's doing in that regard.

When I was looking at the issue I did temporarily set it to show hidden files and it made no difference.

What I failed to do was look at the attributes of an individual folder that is in hiding as I didn't have much time.

For what it's worth he says that he's quite sure this happened after Windows did an update.

LoneWolf_53

Cap'n Crunch
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Or open the file manager and click on the view tab. In the Show/Hide section click Hidden items to see if they show. If they do then Crush has the right of it. Your friend may have clicked on Hide selected items while they were Hi-lited. :)

View attachment 5107
I did check that with no success.

LoneWolf_53

Cap'n Crunch
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Can you actually manually browse to a location the user says is hidden/not there?
No I could not.

If I use explorer and the directory tree then go into "Documents" the missing ones are not visible.

The only way they show up is when using windows search feature.