• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to iHelpForum - the place to get help from knowledgeable techs in all areas of Tech, Home and Auto help. Consider checking out our Guides or Registering an account to post on our forums today.

Easter Chocolate For Unwary Kidz...

DCiAdmin

Always room to learn a bit more
Administrator
iHF Legend
WCG Team Member
I don't recall it being called black chocolate in the States, but perhaps before my time. mmmm, love good dark chocolate!

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
I don't recall it being called black chocolate in the States, but perhaps before my time. mmmm, love good dark chocolate!
It changed here in the late 70's, we had several brands one of it. Club black chocolate, and Pauls or Smalls black chooclate. those brands wer taken over by the big companies Cadburys and Nestles.

Cadbury's had a black rum and raisin chocolate that was excellent stuff.

Lord Chance

iHelpForum Jester & Door Greeter
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Black Chocolate was also know a plain chocolate. Here in the U.S. it was never really popular until the past 20 years or so. In the baking businesses it was usually called plain chocolate but I have known it called black chocolate. The dark chocolate we enjoy is usually 70% cocoa or semisweet. I think the term black chocolate referred more to the extra dark or bittersweet chocolate which is around 90% cocoa.

DCiAdmin

Always room to learn a bit more
Administrator
iHF Legend
WCG Team Member
Ah, that might be. So more of a Baker's chocolate?

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Black Chocolate was also know a plain chocolate. Here in the U.S. it was never really popular until the past 20 years or so. In the baking businesses it was usually called plain chocolate but I have known it called black chocolate.
Now you have jogged the memory sludge a bit LC, I remember some of being called "plain chocolate". As you said though, cooking chocolate was near full strength chocolate.
Ah, that might be. So more of a Baker's chocolate?
My mother used to steal aquire this from where she worked at a bakery to use at home.

Lord Chance

iHelpForum Jester & Door Greeter
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Now you have jogged the memory sludge a bit LC, I remember some of being called "plain chocolate". As you said though, cooking chocolate was near full strength chocolate.
A dear friend of mine ran a small bakery and we had a mutual agreement. I would keep her electronics and computer going and she would supply me with fresh breads and sweets. Was the only way I could keep her from trying to pay for any work I did for her. She was a wonderful person. I kept telling her that she was going to make me fat but she always countered that at least I would be happy. :)