• Welcome to iHelpForum - the place to get help from knowledgeable techs in all areas of Tech, Home and Auto help. Consider checking out our Guides or Registering an account to post on our forums today.

Solved Clear CMOS procedure...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Presiding Cat

High all...-Perhaps this thread should be in internal hard ware???

I recently purchased this used computer... and I need to get rid of the BIOS password because my DVD drive stopped working, And it does not show up under the my computer button...

I followed the instructions below: From Lenovo: For my ThinkCentre computer. Model No. 6073-ADU M57p.

Clear CMOS procedure - NetVista / ThinkCentre
  1. Turn off the computer and any attached devices, such as printers, monitors, and external drives.
  2. Unplug all power cords from electrical outlets, and remove the cover.
  3. Locate the Clear CMOS/Recovery jumper on the system board.
  4. If necessary, remove any adapters that impede access to the Clear CMOS/Recovery jumper.
  5. Move the jumper from the standard position (pins 1 and 2) to pins 2 and 3.
  6. Replace any adapters that were removed.
  7. Replace the cover.
  8. Reconnect the power cords for the computer and monitor to electrical outlets.
  9. Restart the computer, leave it on for approximately 10 seconds.
  10. Turn off the computer by holding the power switch for approximately 5 seconds.
  11. Unplug the power cords from electrical outlets.
  12. Remove the cover.
  13. If necessary, remove any adapters that impede access to the Clear CMOS/Recovery jumper.
  14. Return the Clear CMOS/Recovery jumper to its original position.
  15. Replace any adapters that were removed.
  16. Replace the cover and reconnect any cables that were disconnected.
  17. Turn on the computer. The computer should sound 2 beeps. The time and date should need to be set. If not, the procedure did not work.
And it did not work... When I plugged the power cord back in the computer started, and the fans ran at high speed... and I shut it down...

What should have I done?

Last edited:

Twitch6000

Person Of All Kinds
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Could you take a few pics of inside the machine?

Were you using any anti static device?

Do you see any blown caps?

If jumpers were involved did you make sure you set them correctly?

Last edited:

Presiding Cat

Thanks for the quick response NBK :)

I never wear any anti static devices... And I will not defend that, with my reasons why...

I will check the mother board for any blown capacitors... but the computer is running and posting this message without any problems...

I am not new to working with computers, I purchased new quallity parts and put them all together in another computer that is still working (running windows 7) without any problems some six years later. :mrgreen: And I think I set the jumper correctly...

Twitch6000

Person Of All Kinds
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
If all caps are good you could also try flashing the BIOS to the latest version. If memory serves me well this should also remove the BIOS password.

Presiding Cat

If all caps are good you could also try flashing the BIOS to the latest version. If memory serves me well this should also remove the BIOS password.
All the caps are good... And I had hoped that there would be a solution that would not require the BIOs to be flashed... As that is something I would want to do as a last resort...

Twitch6000

Person Of All Kinds
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Why? Flashing BIOS when done correctly is not any risk. Just be sure not to power off during the flash process. Plus there is the fact that sometimes BIOS updates brings stability updates.

Presiding Cat

It is not something I have done... And I have been told that if you make a mistake your computer becomes a boat anchor...

I guess there is a guide on this site that shows one how to accomplish flashing the BIOS... It is something I would like to learn how to do correctly...

Presiding Cat

Hi Cat, if you remove the pc from the power source, and remove the cmos battery and leave it out for a while the password should be forgotten.
Thanks Camel... I read that previously, but forgot about it... I will try that... :)

TechJohn

iHF Veteran
WCG Team Member
Make sure to discharge the computer before removing battery! then clear CMOS using jumper and remove battery for good 15 minutes let it drain out.. should do the trick if not I know some motherboards have two jumpers one for cmos and the other one for password. Could you please provided the correct series and I would be-able to verify for you.

Thank you!

Last edited:

Twitch6000

Person Of All Kinds
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Hi Cat, if you remove the pc from the power source, and remove the cmos battery and leave it out for a while the password should be forgotten.

View attachment 331
If you do not want to flash the BIOS, this is what you need to do.

Flashing BIOS is just fine, the only thing to worry about is your PC shutting off... If your PC did shut off during a BIOS flash it become unusable.

As for a tutorial if no one has made one, I could whip one up.

Presiding Cat

Make sure to discharge the computer before removing battery! then clear CMOS using jumper and remove battery for good 15 minutes let it drain out.. should do the trick if not I know some motherboards have two jumpers one for cmos and the other one for password. Could you please provided the correct series and I would be-able to verify for you.

Thank you!
I just removed the battery for at least 15 minutes... Now when I plug the computer back in the fans run at high speed and it does not boot up... I have been researching what I need to do next...

Last edited:

Presiding Cat

When you turned on the computer with jumper set to 2 and 3 did it show anything with the BIOS? Did it post?
No It did not post... the fans just ran at a high speed.

Presiding Cat

I don't mean to step on any toes here but..... Do we/ Should we be helping anyone work around a Password??
I just purchased this computer second hand. (From a Computer shop) If you had been following my posts (on the other forum and this one) you would know that my other computer died. This one came from a business. and is a business machine and they had a password for the BIOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.