• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to iHelpForum - the place to get help from knowledgeable techs in all areas of Tech, Home and Auto help. Consider checking out our Guides or Registering an account to post on our forums today.

Car trouble.

Twitch6000

Person Of All Kinds
Advisor
WCG Team Member
So I have a 1996 Oldsmobile Bravada.. This thing has within the past year had alot of replacements everything from the fuel pump to the tires...

It drives great and starts on first crank. It really runs well all over... however there is one thing that drives me insane... When just sitting in park or stopped at a red light, it is idiling quite loud and the entire body shakes..

Other family members suggest not to worry about it,but I really do not think it is suppose to be shaking..

Any ideas as to what the problem could be or is it infact normal?

veeg

Live Long And Eat Bacon
WCG Team Member
Could be the spark plugs and or the distributer cap may need replacing,i finally had mine replaced this spring in my 1999 GMC suburban...it still had the factory cap in it...i know what can i say,but if it ain't broke logic is in the works here..

I am fortunate to have found a mechanic who is a natural and works out of his home...it does keep the cost down..

If you haven't got that fixed before i talk to him i will ask him...it's fun watching him figure this stuff out in his head..

Twitch6000

Person Of All Kinds
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Distributor cap was replaced a few months back to my knowledge. Spark plugs... not sure.

I will probably not have it figured out so no worries on time.. Computers is my expertise.. Cars... not so much lol...

Twitch6000

Person Of All Kinds
Advisor
WCG Team Member
A thought here....tonight find a dark spot,crank up the car and check your spark plug wires (don't touch) if you see them arcing...then you need new spark plug wires..
I will try that as soon as my cousin gets back home haha.

Twitch6000

Person Of All Kinds
Advisor
WCG Team Member
You asking questions I could not tell you. I will just throw these ideas at my cousin.

veeg

Live Long And Eat Bacon
WCG Team Member
Does that have the 4.3 liter engine? As od as it may sound have someone look at the motor mounts. These mounts not only hold the motor in place but they also isolate the motor from the chassis.
I will add to this...rev up the motor and if it rocks back and forth real bad ...then yes...time to change...now it will raise up a bit...so i am talking real bad...

LoneWolf_53

Cap'n Crunch
iHF Master Craftsman
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Definitely not normal for it to be shaking at idle, unless it's an 800HP hot rod.

You've been given good tips. I'm inclined to think motor mount or there's a miss on one hole, which can be caused by a bad spark plug wire, spark plug, or rotor.
Possibly a fuel injector, but if that were faulty you'd be noticing something at times other than idle also.

Twitch6000

Person Of All Kinds
Advisor
WCG Team Member
I can confirm the fuel injector is good as we replaced it about 4 months ago. From what y'all are telling me the motor mount might be the problem. Will check it when I get someone to help lol.

DCiAdmin

Always room to learn a bit more
Administrator
iHF Legend
WCG Team Member
You've received good advice. I have a '95 Bravada that doesn't have that issue, so I can assure that it isn't supposed to be doing that :)

Also perhaps, the idle might be set too high? That's an easy adjustment.

Twitch6000

Person Of All Kinds
Advisor
WCG Team Member
I haven't gotten around to checking all suggestions, but it looks like the rubber pad for the motor mount is atleast part of the problem.