• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to iHelpForum - the place to get help from knowledgeable techs in all areas of Tech, Home and Auto help. Consider checking out our Guides or Registering an account to post on our forums today.

Information Ants ... How to Kill Them Tip

veeg

Live Long And Eat Bacon
WCG Team Member
I have a procedure i use to kill ants and here in the south they are an issue.. I for one am not going to spend $20 to $30 bucks on ant pellet insecticide which only works marginally and this learning the feeding habits and then wait for the ants to come out before you put the pellets down is for the birds...

1st ..thing i know about the ants habit is this,if you p!ss them off they will come out regardless.
2nd.. i use the powered insecticide like Bayer complete insect dust and it is cheap compared to that other stuff,i would however rather use sevin dust but they have jacked the price up to much..
3rd..take the dust around a cup or 2 and put it in your sprayer,fill the sprayer up with water and shake.
4th.. go the the ant mound with a good pair of shoes and run the sole of your shoe across the top of the ant mound and then step back..
5th.. note where the ants are coming out...(anyone who has ever seen an ant farm will know this) there will be a main exit and several back doors.
6th.. have sprayer pumped up then begin to spray down the holes they are coming out of,i like to spray the perimeter first for those runners..Keep spraying all escape exits..in a couple hours these ants will be dead..

We have an issue down here with Argentinean ants ,it seems they don't mind having more than one queen in the mound,so if you kill one the others keep laying...My method so far kills them all in the mound..

The Bayer insect dust cost around 5 to 8 bucks and will last several months,if you are not infested...I have used up 3 bags of dust in one summer before... It's still cheaper than those ant pellets..

Twitch6000

Person Of All Kinds
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Great guide..

My way of handling ants is a bit more... simplistic...

Needed items, Grill Lighter or Torch

Ant Bed

Lighter Fluid,Gas, or some kind of highly flammable liquid.

Bucket of dirt

Steps -

1. Find said ant bed

2. Stomp on the ant bed and **** off the ants

3. Spray the ant bed with the flammable liquid

4. Light the ant bed on fire

5. Step back and watch them burn!!!

6. After the ant bed has burned up toss the bucket of dirt on it to put out the fire.

Last edited:

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Here's the ABC radios gardening guru's recipe for ant and cockerroaches.

This recipe can be used to control ants and cockroaches.

Simply mix equal parts of borax and sugar, or syrup, and sprinkle it around their nests.

Make sure your replenish this mix if it rains.

Be careful if you petrol bomb ant nests, I have seen one blow back and the lightee got pretty badly burnt hands...

Lord Chance

iHelpForum Jester & Door Greeter
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Tried all these suggestions..but i want the ants dead now...those little bu**ers have a nasty bite and they have bitten the wrong person..just saying..
This is the product I use Veeg.

http://www.bengal.com/fire_ants.html

I have had good success with it. I just stir the mound and sprinkle on the product and usually over night the mound is dead.

For heavens sake. I sound like a bloody commercial. I hope the powers that be will forgive me. :whistle:

veeg

Live Long And Eat Bacon
WCG Team Member
Jeez...LC i thought i was listen tp an info commercial there for a minute...LOL

Not that i have a problem killing the ants that are here..my 6 buck 5 lb bag of stuff works good...it's the other family members that show up...living beside a big field don't help either..

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Jeez...LC i thought i was listen tp an info commercial there for a minute...LOL

Not that i have a problem killing the ants that are here..my 6 buck 5 lb bag of stuff works good...it's the other family members that show up...living beside a big field don't help either..
I live by a 40 acre field myself so I understand. The 12oz container of Fire Ant Killer usually last me thru the warm season. Believe me it doesn't take much so for my money (and just ask Iron Maiden how tight fisted I am) it is cost effective.:D

Smokeycheech

Modding Terminator
iHF Regular
WCG Team Member
I have noticed that ants are not to partial to boiling water... I usually boil the kettle and instead of making a pot of Tea I pour the hot water on the ants nest...

It's harmless to other animals and children, containing no harmful chemicals but does some serious damage to the ant population...
That's how I deal with the little blighter Ian. Not so sure our ants are as hardcore over here though lol :D

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
That's how I deal with the little blighter Ian. Not so sure our ants are as hardcore over here though lol :D
That doesn't work around here Mate. The blighters are as big as rats so a kettle of boiling water just serves as a hot shower.:D