• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to iHelpForum - the place to get help from knowledgeable techs in all areas of Tech, Home and Auto help. Consider checking out our Guides or Registering an account to post on our forums today.

Information Advice for LAN/Work benches!

TechJohn

iHF Veteran
WCG Team Member
Need some advice for computer benches. Mainly for a room. I'm using it for a LAN party bunch my buddies when time comes and repairs.. This room will be my main computer room soon. Just looking for something that would be cheap. I would rather look for workstation desk.

Also eventually I'll be working in home for IT department. If plans go out right.

This kinda design would be great, I would prefer more solid station.
TechBench.jpg

Room size looking at L 13 ft and by 10.5ft

Just looking some general ideals nothing will be done until I can gather the resources, time and money.

any advice would be great.

Thank you for help

veeg

Live Long And Eat Bacon
WCG Team Member
John how good are you with wood working?

Since you have a measurement ...some plywood with a finished side,does not be no more than a 1/4 inch thick. Some trimming if you like. Some small squared off half inch thick bracing (length to be determined). Some epoxy paint your color..(provides a hard surface finish). The legs can be your choice anything from regular table legs to metal pipe.. (using metal legs will require some extra attachments) but the cost ain't bad..

Screws and finish nails.

Last edited:

LoneWolf_53

Cap'n Crunch
iHF Master Craftsman
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Yes depending on how good you are with tools it wouldn't be too hard to make something quite nice.

I made something similar, as Veeg describes only using 3/4" plywood and then I glued arborite laminate onto it along with a strip of oak along the front for a completely finished look.

LoneWolf_53

Cap'n Crunch
iHF Master Craftsman
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
I made my work station along that line, since I hate the look of legs, only I made large wooden brackets out of 3/4" plywood and 3" boards, then attached them to the wall stud locations for a really strong surface.

Basically the brackets were along this line............ http://www.ehow.com/how_8176702_make-large-bracket-plywood.html

TechJohn

iHF Veteran
WCG Team Member

veeg

Live Long And Eat Bacon
WCG Team Member
Im average i suppose, I don't do as much wood work though. I was thinking of making the desk without legs example here

View attachment 348
Just remember...you will need some stout brackets and make sure your studs/2x4's in the wall are where you put the brackets.. Usually 16 inch on center,but and fair size but...sometimes they cheat with walls (non load bearing) and the studs can be up to 26 inches on center..

I made me a work table out of some scrap wood i had and had to make to fit a half a wall with no space so my table is about 2 and a half feet wide...used 2x4's to brace and legs and to stiffen it....painted it white with epoxy paint.. It is now holding 6 pc's (2 of them running) ..1 broke down PS and a bunch of keyboards,monitor... I suppose it is about 6+ feet long..

Last edited:

Lord Chance

iHelpForum Jester & Door Greeter
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
You could use melamine board. This will cut down on the cost of laminate and provide a smooth work surface. I believe it comes in different colors and wood grain laminate with 1/2" and 3/4" thickness and up to 4'X8' sizes. To dress the edges you can do as LoneWolf suggests using hardwood banding or buy banding that you can adhere with a regular clothes iron. A 24" deep work surface works well. You have many mounting option just make sure of your wall structure as Veeg suggests. :)