• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to iHelpForum - the place to get help from knowledgeable techs in all areas of Tech, Home and Auto help. Consider checking out our Guides or Registering an account to post on our forums today.

2019 Summer travels

DCiAdmin

Always room to learn a bit more
Administrator
iHF Legend
WCG Team Member
The kids and I will be adventuring again in early July. It seems we've set our sights on Wood Buffalo National Park in northern Alberta. If Google has this mapped out correctly for me, it will be 1,837 miles or 30 hours from home. Guess we really enjoyed our time in Canada last year :) Seems to be a bit of a "deep dive" into things this year. Anyone familiar with the area? Care to offer suggestions for side trips? Just nothing too far off our path - I've got a limited number of days to make this trip. LOL

2019Vaca.JPG

Lord Chance

iHelpForum Jester & Door Greeter
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
@DCiAdmin - You will be on secondary roads most of the way so it may take longer to get there and back. I don't know what speed limits are like. I see you figured road speed at 60 Mph. That was wise. :)

For trips I use a Samsung tablet with the App Navigator which has points of interest. That may help with deciding on stops of interest. :)

DCiAdmin

Administrator
iHF Legend
WCG Team Member
Vacation is up in the air. I'm hesitant to commit to Wood Buffalo as I fear it may not hold the interest of the littles. Who knows where we will end up...

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Vacation is up in the air. I'm hesitant to commit to Wood Buffalo as I fear it may not hold the interest of the littles. Who knows where we will end up...
I think the Littles would find it interesting but the trip there and back is what concerns me M'Lady. I've done my share of road trips and they can be tiresome. 60+ hours of driving even over several days wears on a person. Of course I am an old duffer that thinks driving to the next state is a long trip. :lol:

DCiAdmin

Administrator
iHF Legend
WCG Team Member
I'm thinking that we must drive about that on our "shorter" vacations as the last three trips have been 3996 - 4005 consistently :) Perhaps it would be good to have the mileage as a goal "out of the gate". LOL

I've downloaded Navigator. Hopefully it will have more information than Google has been able to provide.

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
I've downloaded Navigator. Hopefully it will have more information than Google has been able to provide.
For a free app it works well. I have one of those TomTom devices and have compared the two and found Navigator was just as accurate. :)

DCiAdmin

Administrator
iHF Legend
WCG Team Member
A bad read of the map and inaccurate reading of the campground location means that we will not be going to Wood Buffalo National Park in Alberta Canada this year. The campground is 60km outside of Fort Smith, Northwest Territories, adding another seven hours on to the drive. Our new destination is Mattawa, Ontario, the yurt that we stayed in last year.

DCiAdmin

Administrator
iHF Legend
WCG Team Member
It would be wonderful but my darling daughter has put the kabosh on Banff or surrounding area. We are hoping to avoid people and Banff doesn't give the impression that it is isolated during summer months.

Back to Mattawa, Ontario and Nature's Harmony eco-lodges. Still plenty of exploring to do there :)

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
It would be wonderful but my darling daughter has put the kabosh on Banff or surrounding area. We are hoping to avoid people and Banff doesn't give the impression that it is isolated during summer months.

Back to Mattawa, Ontario and Nature's Harmony eco-lodges. Still plenty of exploring to do there :)
I can understand not wanting to commune with nature with a crowd looking over my shoulder. ;) Last time I went up to the Lodge with my cameras I had people wanting me to take pictures for them. I finally had to get rude.:caution: