Windows 8.1: See hidden files
- Operating System:
- Windows 8
Windows by default hide's specific files, most of them are important system files which should never be tempered with, but some of them can be edited and in some cases you will be required to do this.
This guide explains how to do that, it's written for Windows 8.1 but the steps for Windows 8 are the same, the steps from Windows 7 and below differ a bit.
Step 1: Open the folder settings page.
Method 1; Use the search feature in Windows
Windows 8 / 8.1 has the option to show hidden files built-in in the search feature, this makes it very easy for you to turn this on.
- Open Start by pressing the Windows icon or press Windows + W key at the same time.
- Type "show hidden"
- Now click on Show hidden files and folder.
Method 2: Use File Explorer
- Open File Explorer (Windows Explorer)
- Click on View
- Click on Options
- Click on Change Folder and search options
- Click on the tab View
Step 2: Change the display settings
- Scroll down in the list till you see Hidden Files and Folders
- Select Show hidden files, folders, and drives. (Or click hide if you wish to hide them)
- Click on Apply
- Click on OK
You will now see hidden files, folders and drives.
2014 Microsoft MVP Windows Expert-Consumer
iHelpForum - Providers of Quality Advice
iHelpForum is a friendly, professional, FREE help community. We help with any kind of problem, be it a misbehaving computer or automotive issues.
Windows 8.1: See hidden files, folders and drives
Enable hidden files, folders and drives.